In this episode of The Femtrepreneur Show, we're answering two questions all about picking the right topic for your course:
- Emily asked, "How do I pick my first course to make when I have three different topics that I'm extremely passionate about?"
- And Raven asked, “What do we do if two completely different course ideas we've put out to followers are both getting the same amount of popular responses? How do I choose which one to pursue?”
Be sure to listen to this episode to hear all about our fail-proof criteria for picking a course topic!
If you like to see things visually mapped out, download our worksheet to help you figure out which of your ideas will be the most successful!
The Preliminary Steps:
- Read our blog post, 5 Fail-Proof Strategies for Finding Your Profitable Course Topic and Idea, to help you think of course ideas.
- Check in with yourself. Which topic are you really drawn to?
- Pick the “low-hanging fruit.” Megan describes this as choosing the easiest topic to produce -- one that doesn’t take resources and skills that you don’t have, such as fancy microphones or professional backdrops. Save the complicated courses for when you have the experience and funds to support it!
The Fail-Proof Criteria:
- How easy is this idea for you to execute? Using the tools you already have available, think about which idea is going to be the easiest for you to create at this exact moment
- Do you have an advantage in one topic that you don’t have in another? Maybe you’ve already written blog posts or posted videos on one of your topics that you can use as a starting point for your course, but you’d have to start from scratch with your other ideas. Use the resources you have available to get started!
- How affordable would it be to create this course? Don’t pick the course topic that requires a hefty investment to buy the technology and equipment to produce it.
- How quickly can you complete this course? You want to start making money and gaining experience as fast as possible, so think about which idea you can launch the quickest. Don’t let insecurity and first-time jitters hold you back.
- Is there an identifiable audience for this course? Write down an actual number for how many blogs, influencers, subreddits, and Facebook Groups already exist for your idea. We went in depth on how to find your students in Episode One of The Fem Show, check it out if you haven’t already!
The key to all of this is selecting the course idea that you’re the most excited to promote and would be happy to build a reputation on. As Megan puts it, “If you don’t want to be known for it, don’t sell a course on it!”
If you want to see the unedited video version of these recordings, head over to thefemshow.com/youtube to see the raw video footage of each episode.
Quotes Worth Sharing:
CLICK TO TWEET
- If you liked this episode, please subscribe to the Femtrepreneur Show on iTunes, and leave a rating and a review. It might seem small, but reviews make a big impact and help us get more amazing guests for you and keep bringing you the best strategies and tools for free each week!
- Join the conversation on social media by using the hashtag, #thefemshow
- More of a visual person? Want to see what we look like? Every episode of The Fem Show can be found on our YouTube channel! Click here to view those now!
- Have a question you want answered on The Fem Show? Submit your questions for us here!
More from Mariah:
- Build a Profitable Blog
- Your First 1K
- Webinar Rockstar
- Launch Your Signature Course